The weather wasn't looking good on Saturday morning so we decided to do some upgrades to the interior of our boat. The "wallpaper," if that's what you call it, was in poor shape. It is some kind of textured stuff originally installed when the boat was built and now could use some work. A few years ago during the winter, we painted the same material on each of the door panels and we liked the color, so we decided to do some big sections, like the one in our galley.
We repaired all of the little nicks and tears, washed the wall down with Folex and then began the taping, which would allow us to paint the wall and not the mahogany trim.
Frances is a taping expert and she took several hours to get the wall ready for paint. We used blue painter's tape and Frances likes to apply it in short sections to keep it right up against the molding.
Next we began to apply the paint. We used a three-inch roller and went very slowly to avoid spattering paint all over the place. We cut in against the tape with a one-inch brush.
The paint (Sherwood Williams) went on without issue but once the wall was covered, we noticed a few spots that could use a second coat so we went over the entire wall again. Frances inspected and pronounced the wall as "looking good."
On Sunday morning, we shifted our attention to the wall that surrounds the lower helm. Again, this required a lot of masking and this time, in some very difficult areas.
The lower helm is hinged at the bottom and no, we didn't attempt to paint the portion of the wall that is behind the helm. There is a lot of wiring back there and since you can't see this area, there was no reason to paint it.
Once the paint had dried, we removed the masking tape and closed the helm. The time we took to mask that area was a good investment. It looked very good. In fact, the casual observer would probably never notice the fact that it had been painted.
As noted above, we cleaned the walls with Folex, a stain remover that we originally learned about from someone at the Silverton Owner's Club. Since we still had some time on Sunday, Frances began applying the Folex to some spots on the walls of the cabin that had what looked like they might have been water stains.
Folex really works. Just rub some on with a sponge and let it sit for a while.
All in all, it was a rainy weekend well spent. In fact, we decided that the next time it rains on our boating plans, we'll tackle the walls and trim in the head. That's going to require a lot more work but it's something that we have wanted to do for some time.
Here's some video of the weekend effort: