Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Salon status at the end of the season

It's been a great summer for us but it's been a little tough on the furniture, of which we seem to have an abundance. We started the summer with lots of stuff including our beautiful bargain basement table (see an old blog post for more details) and our beloved Klobo, the Ikea sofa (see another old blog post for even more detail).

The problem was, for Frances, things just weren't "right" in our salon.  Each week Frances would shift the furniture around, carefully running speaker wires under the carpet. And, about every week or so, she'd call saying, "You'll love the way the salon is arranged!" And frankly, I always did. Speakers became miniature coffee tables. Klobo, the sofa, crept out from the starboard side as thing were stored behind him (or her).

But regardless of the the configuration, my chair was always there. I think it can best be described as a "barrel" chair, circa 1980, and original equipment with the boat. I liked it the first time I saw it and I enjoyed sitting in it, swiveling left for some munchies and right for a cocktail.  Flip over the cushion and the stains were gone. My kind of chair.

However, Frances called last week with the news that the salon was finally arranged the way she liked it. Perfect for us. Perfect for entertaining. "I can't wait for you to see it," she exclaimed.

I must admit that the salon had a lot more room. Our table was now awarthships, just behind our lower (useless) steering station. Klobo, the sofa, was now back against the port salon wall.  There was lots of room. "I love it," I announced from my favorite chair. "Oh, there's one more thing.  That chair has to go," she noted.

"My chair? I asked. "I love this chair!"

"Sorry, it has to go," she said rather firmly.

So, rather than seeing my old friend end up a Dumpster, I took it home.  I have no idea what I will do with that chair but I love sitting in it and thinking of all the time the previous owner must have enjoyed it.

It's not a style leader, I know. But old furniture, like old boaters, deserve an second chance.


Our next blog, we hope, will cover our trip from our summer dock in Norwich to Portland on the Connecticut river. Between now and the time we leave for that last trip of 2010, I'll sit in my favorite chair and dream.

1 comment:

  1. hey, what was wrong with Bill's barrel chair? What's he have to sit in now? That was his THRONE!!! Hope feng shui is not all askew now.....

    ReplyDelete