Sunday, July 10, 2016

Pooka spends a night on the fly bridge



 A blog post from Frances...


 Wednesday, July 6

I awoke a little later than usual because Pooka was not howling in my ear for some grub.  I jumped out of the V berth and went looking for him.  He was not in the usual places. 

The first place I checked was his man cave (under our Klobo-IKEA couch) but no Pooka.  Next, I searched all the cabinets because he is sneaky when it comes to hiding from his humans. But still, no Pooka.  My next step was to get off the boat to check for a floater…what could I do? Did our Pooka take an accidental swim? Time to find out.

Just as I was getting off the boat, I heard a faint meow and I looked up on the bridge (the ladder up there is 5 steps), and I spotted a bedraggled, wet triangular head of a blondie cat peering out from the bottom of the canvas. Pooka!

That cat was sure was glad to see me, and I him.  I climbed up and unzipped the canvas. It had rained the night before, so I dried the steps to prevent slippage.  After several friendly head butts, he was ready to descend.  However, it wasn’t to be his usual procedure.

First he tried the railing and I told him “no.” I did protect myself from potential claw damage with the towel.  He decided, without consultation, to use my head as a springboard.  Apparently my “familiar” scent comforted him.  It worked and I was able to carry him down to the deck.   

All is good with a happy ending. Never a dull moment with Pooka, the First Cat Mate.   


No comments:

Post a Comment