Friday, December 4, 2009

The Romanian Dinette




Since Act Three did not come with a dinette section, and the crew has no plan to convert the bunk area into such, my mission was to come up with an alternative...

While trolling aimlessly through a consignment shop (used stuff and antiques), I stumbled upon an unusual drop leaf table. In my spatial, if not fertile, imagination, I knew exactly where and how this table would work on the boat. It met all of our criteria, such as being big enough to fit 6 people for dinner (2 will have to bring their own chairs) and plenty of space for Mad Dog and Dogette to spread out the Sunday NY Times. The only thing I need to get, as a centerpiece, is a piggy bank to save up for the paper...

Before I made the $75 purchase, I made a quick call to the captain for input. His and my opinion of drop leaf tables, in general, is that we have never met one we did not like. I dashed over to the counter and quickly wrote a check before another customer, who was just in the store, returned to make her buy. Apparently, the thwarted purchaser did not have a car phone (HUH?), so she had to find a land phone to authorize her purchase. SNAP! I did feel bad, for a nanosecond.

Stats: 3' x 1' (closed); 3' x 4' (one leaf); 3' x 7' (2 leaves). Note the storage area for 4 folding chairs. Item was made in Romania.

4 comments:

  1. Love the table!! What a gem. I can't wait to have food and drink and enjoy Act Three.

    Hugs,
    Tuna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also love the table, such a great find! And very multi-tasking too. As for the piggy bank, I have just the one for you. Consider it a new boat present. I think I'll post a picture of it on FB for you to see.

    Keep up the great work on the boat and all the blog updates. CA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also happy to hear you're not converting bunk space; good storage area. Also that shot looks like it would be somewhat dark and cramped for dining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turns out that having a dinette in that space must have been an option in the 1980 Silverton since I've seen a photo of at least one. There is a hatch directly overhead and a port on the starboard side so at least when it is sunny outside, that dinette appears to be nice and bright. But, you are correct. At any other time, that would be a dark dinette and getting in behind the table would require sliding across a lot of vinyl seat cushion.

    ReplyDelete