Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Off topic - The Congressional Medal of Honor

I came across an item in the paper this week that a Navy SEAL, Senior Chief Special Warfare Operator Edward Byers, was to be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor that day. I chose C-Span to watch the ceremony because it would show the whole thing, not just the 90 seconds or so that the commercial TV people usually pick out.

Yes, I had work to do but this seemed important.

About a thousand years ago, I was in the service, Army not Navy, and once, at Ft. Benning, I got to meet a guy who had won the Medal of Honor. He was an unassuming E7 (Sergeant First Class in the Army or Chief Petty Officer in the Navy). What was notable to me was the respect with which he was held. Everyone saluted him, officers included, even though E7s don't ever rate a salute.

No rant here. I just thought that some of you would like to see what people like this (38 years old, father of two) are out there doing for us.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?405741-1/medal-honor-ceremony

I hope the link works because it is well worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment